Areas of Practice
The core of BBL’s practice is litigation, from prevention and management of risks to claims, to lawsuits, trials, and appeals. BBL represents a wide variety of clients, from large companies to individuals, in a broad range of litigation, from the routine to the most complex.
BBL works to achieve the client’s objectives through meticulous preparation, and aggressive pursuit of the cause. Early in the process BBL will work with clients to develop a mutually agreed-upon litigation strategy. BBL encourages frank communication about the magnitude of what is at issue or risk. BBL offers you flexibility in administrative matters such as billing arrangements and reporting.
Denver’s geographic location is advantageous for regional and national work. As the transportation, financial, and business hub of the Rocky Mountain and Intermountain West, Denver is the seat of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and a major population center. Due to the experience and reputation of BBL’s attorneys, we have an established, well-respected, regional, and national litigation practice.
Brosseau Bartlett Lieberman’s attorneys have served fidelity and surety clients for decades. Our attorneys have written and lectured on fidelity and surety topics, and have extensive experience representing fidelity and surety companies at the local, regional, and national levels. Representative engagements include:
- Commercial disputes
- Contract disputes
- Creditor’s Rights
- Insurance coverage
- Insurance defense
- Franchise and distributorship disputes
- Product disparagement
- Civil RICO
- Sales and licensing
- Financial institution disputes, including workouts of troubled credits, and a variety of litigation matters
- Interference with business and contractual relations
- Defamation cases
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Mass tort litigation
- Consumer protection act cases
- Professional liability including insurance agent and broker, real estate agent and broker, design professionals, physician, and lawyer defense cases
- Class actions
- Patent, trademark, and copyright litigation
- Oil and gas litigation
When handling commercial and complex litigation matters for our clients, BBL encourages exploration of options — from a position of strength. When appropriate, this may involve pursuit of alternative solutions to trial, such as settlement and creative dispute resolution. Our attorneys have served clients in a number of the above areas throughout Colorado and occasionally across the country.
Regardless of the method of resolution, BBL’s approach will be tailored to our client’s particular needs, with a sensitivity and respect for our client’s dual desires of upholding its reputation while protecting against financial loss.
BBL’s attorneys have represented product manufacturers, distributors, and sellers for many years, and such representation has been a central element of our attorneys’ practices for decades. Our attorneys have tried significant product liability cases throughout the United States, and recognize that a successful defense requires a detailed understanding of the product, the market, and environment of use, as well as the role and importance of the product for the client. Our attorneys have represented manufacturers and sellers of a wide variety of products, from electrical and recreational products, to manufacturing equipment, and natural gas containment and transmission systems. In addition, our lawyers have an established local, regional, and national reputation in several product areas:
- Automotive and truck products
- Chemical products
- Construction and mining equipment
- Hazardous substances
- Medical devices
- Pharmaceutical and biological products
We are experienced in national, high-profile, complex products litigation. Our experience has included:
- Managing litigation nationally for manufacturers with hundreds or even thousands of pending lawsuits
- Designing and managing company-wide document sweeps and establishing reading rooms when appropriate
- Designing regional counsel systems for product manufacturers
- Assisting offices of general counsel in developing systems for reporting, budgeting, or supervising product claims and suits
- Discovery management
- Risk management
- Preparing and managing expert and company witnesses
BBL works with clients to seek the best possible result. If early resolution without trial cannot be reached, BBL will stand ready and fully prepared to defend a client’s cause at every stage of trial.
Brosseau Bartlett Lieberman’s attorneys have served fidelity and surety clients for decades. Our attorneys have written and lectured on fidelity and surety topics and have extensive experience representing fidelity and surety companies at the local, regional, and national levels. Representative engagements include:
- Investigating and analyzing claims of financial institutions and other commercial enterprises for losses caused by employee dishonesty
- Managing contractor defaults in contract suretyship, including: negotiating and drafting completion agreements, making arrangements for project reletting, financing troubled contractors through completion, negotiating bonded obligation buyouts, processing related payment bond claims, and monitoring project completions
- Enforcing fidelity and surety carriers’ rights of indemnification, exoneration, and subrogation
- Representing fidelity and surety companies in litigation, appeals, mediation, and arbitration
- Serving as national claims monitoring counsel for a captive insurer formed by a financial conglomerate having more than 600 offices nationwide
- Handling claims in litigation on a wide variety of miscellaneous bonds including supersedeas, bid, maintenance, license and permit, judicial, and public official bonds
BBL maintains a specialized library of fidelity and surety resources to assist in providing clients with the highest level of representation. BBL will stay in close communication with clients to keep them informed and to respond to their needs.
While BBL has a focus and extensive experience in construction litigation, including representation of architects, engineers, contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, and owners/developers throughout Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region, BBL can also counsel clients through almost all aspects of the construction process from design, bid letting, contract drafting, risk analysis, contract administration, and project closeout. When disputes arise our attorneys in this specialized field understand the unique and often highly technical issues underlying such disputes.
Construction disputes are often document-intensive and BBL has the technological and staffing capability to organize and work efficiently with large numbers of documents. All of our construction clients, large and small, receive the same personalized services and attention.
Representative engagements have included: prosecution and defense of cases arising out of expansive soil damages involving commercial, single, and multi-family residential construction; prosecution and defense of design professionals when claims of professional malpractice in design and construction inspection services arise; defense of sureties; prosecution and defense of contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers when defective construction claims arise; prosecution and defense of claims for extra work, delay or impacts; representation of insureds and insurers on coverage disputes arising out of construction projects; lien foreclosure actions – prosecution and defense; and prosecution and defense of workplace injuries, including OSHA proceedings.
BBL recognizes that for all involved in the construction industry litigation is often viewed as a necessary evil. While clients may have experience with lawyers who are “deal killers” who are always telling them why something cannot be done, BBL strives to be part of the solution to problems. However, BBL believes in doing so from a position of strength on its clients’ behalf. That strength comes from preparation and experience.
The team at BBL has extensive experience in a variety of personal injury claims. We handle cases involving car accidents, slip and falls, auto/bicycle crashes, defective medical implants, and beyond. Our attorneys are well equipped to handle claims involving both physical and mental injuries. We regularly work with a multitude of experts in a variety of fields including, but not limited to, accident reconstruction, vehicle dynamics, biomechanics, neuropsychology, PTSD, orthopedics, and psychiatry. We pride ourselves on our early-case investigations, our evidence development procedures, and, most importantly, our honest and straightforward case assessments.